Children in London will be able to visit Father Christmas this month, despite Covid-19 restrictions.
Tier 2 measures in London allow indoor entertainment venues, like Santa’s Grottos, to open. This means that children across the capital will be able to see Santa before Christmas.
The Grotto at Alexandra Palace will open on December 5. Joe Coggins, the communications director for the venue, spoke of his delight for what the new measures mean.
“It’s really great for us. We’re an entertainment venue and we’re here to provide entertainment for everybody.
“Because of the numerous restrictions we haven’t been able to open at certain points in the year.
“So, to be able to offer events, particularly around Christmas, for families is really positive for us and we’re really pleased.”
This happiness has naturally spread throughout London’s young people.
Six-year-old Tabitha Elliot said, “I can’t wait to see Father Christmas. He needs to wash his hands to keep safe though!”
Coggins insisted that health and safety was the top priority for the Alexandra Palace Grotto.
“You want to have that security and that knowledge that what you’re attending is really safe and secure because then you can enjoy it.
“So that’s the first thing we have to do in terms of the customer experience above and beyond entertainment.”
Measures different to last year include booked time slots to avoid queueing and one-way systems in and out of the building.
“Santa himself will be socially distanced,” Coggins confirmed.
A Virtual Christmas Grotto
The general public prepare for a Covid Christmas this month. Credit: AP
However, the new restrictions have come too late for some of London’s Christmas-based entertainment businesses.
George Whitefield works for events company Sharky and George. They were due to host a Santa’s Grotto at Stamford Bridge this month, but it is now going to be online.
“It would actually be feasible to do it now that we are in Tier 2. But the lead time to do the build and have everything ready to go is about a month.
So, we had to make a decision a month ago and it was just too uncertain to be able to commit.”
However, Whitefield was adamant that a virtual Christmas grotto still offers plenty of excitement.
“I think it’ll be really cool. We’ve been running virtual events since March. Over the last few months we’ve really got the hang of doing active and fun games on zoom that actually work brilliantly.”
Submitted Article
Headline
Short Headline
Standfirst
Published Article
HeadlineChristmas in Tier 2: Santa’s Grottos open in London
Short HeadlineSanta's Grottos open in London
StandfirstTier 2 restriction means that physical Santa's Grottos can take place in the capital, although some still have to go online.
Children in London will be able to visit Father Christmas this month, despite Covid-19 restrictions.
Tier 2 measures in London allow indoor entertainment venues, like Santa’s Grottos, to open. This means that children across the capital will be able to see Santa before Christmas.
The Grotto at Alexandra Palace will open on December 5. Joe Coggins, the communications director for the venue, spoke of his delight for what the new measures mean.
“It’s really great for us. We’re an entertainment venue and we’re here to provide entertainment for everybody.
“Because of the numerous restrictions we haven’t been able to open at certain points in the year.
“So, to be able to offer events, particularly around Christmas, for families is really positive for us and we’re really pleased.”
This happiness has naturally spread throughout London’s young people.
Six-year-old Tabitha Elliot said, “I can’t wait to see Father Christmas. He needs to wash his hands to keep safe though!”
Coggins insisted that health and safety was the top priority for the Alexandra Palace Grotto.
“You want to have that security and that knowledge that what you’re attending is really safe and secure because then you can enjoy it.
“So that’s the first thing we have to do in terms of the customer experience above and beyond entertainment.”
Measures different to last year include booked time slots to avoid queueing and one-way systems in and out of the building.
“Santa himself will be socially distanced,” Coggins confirmed.
A Virtual Christmas Grotto
The general public prepare for a Covid Christmas this month. Credit: AP
However, the new restrictions have come too late for some of London’s Christmas-based entertainment businesses.
George Whitefield works for events company Sharky and George. They were due to host a Santa’s Grotto at Stamford Bridge this month, but it is now going to be online.
“It would actually be feasible to do it now that we are in Tier 2. But the lead time to do the build and have everything ready to go is about a month.
So, we had to make a decision a month ago and it was just too uncertain to be able to commit.”
However, Whitefield was adamant that a virtual Christmas grotto still offers plenty of excitement.
“I think it’ll be really cool. We’ve been running virtual events since March. Over the last few months we’ve really got the hang of doing active and fun games on zoom that actually work brilliantly.”
A 39-year-old cyclist was killed in South East London after a collision with a lorry. A "ghost bike" has been placed near the site of the collision to warn future riders.